Banking and documents

Alberta Registry

The Alberta Registry provides licensing, information and registration services including:

  • Personal Identification 
  • Motor vehicle registration
  • Driver licensing and testing
  • Land title searches
  • Personal property (lien) searches and registrations
  • Marriage license, birth certificates, legal name changes 
  • Corporate registry

 The Jasper Registry is located in the Servus Credit Union building:

> Location: 308 Connaught Drive

> Phone: 780-852-5994

Alberta Driver's License and Identification Cards

For information on how to renew, obtain or transfer an international Driver’s License, visit this Government of Alberta webpage.


A Drivers’ License is the most commonly used piece of ID for Albertans. If you do not have a driver’s license, see about getting an Alberta ID Card. You can get an Alberta ID Card through your local Registries office.

Vehicle registration 

In Alberta your vehicle must have insurance and be registered to be on the road. 

Here is a link to more information on vehicle registration and documentation.

Social Insurance Number

Your Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a unique nine-digit number assigned to you by the Government of Canada. 

You must have a SIN number to work in Canada. You can also use a SIN number to access government programs and benefits.

All newcomers to Canada should apply for a SIN. Visit the Service Canada website for more information on what the SIN number is and how to apply online or in person.

Service Canada

  • 1-800-206-7218 (select option 3)
  • Online applications and information
  • In-person appointments are held in Jasper every second Thursday at the Library & Culture Centre, downstairs in the Rotary Room (500 Robson Street). Appointments times are between 10:30 am - 12 pm & 1-3 pm.
  • Check the Jasper Scheduled Outreach page for more information and a list of services they can help with.

Opening a bank account

You have the right to open a bank account at a bank or a federally regulated credit union. You must provide proper identification.

You can open an account even if you:

  • don't have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) yet
  • don't have a job 
  • do not have money to put in the account right away
  • have filed bankrupt

To open a new account, you usually have to:

  • go in person to a financial institution
  • provide an acceptable form of identification such as your passport, or Canadian government ID

Contact the bank of your choice to find out if there are other ways to open an account.

Opening a bank account if you’re not a Canadian citizen:

Contact the specific bank for more information if you're not a Canadian citizen.

Most banks will allow you to open an account using your passport and a work permit as identification.

The Canadian Bankers Association has a lot of good information on banking for newcomers to Canada.

Banks in Jasper

CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce)

  • Phone: 780-852-3391
  • Location: 416 Connaught Drive Jasper, AB 

TD (Toronto Dominion)

  • Phone: 780-852-6270
  • Location: 606 Patricia St. Jasper, AB 

Servus Credit Union

  • Phone: 780-852-1175
  • Location: 308 Connaught Dr. Jasper, AB

ATB (Alberta Treasury Branch)

  • Phone: 780-852-1810
  • Location: 404 Patricia St. Jasper, AB

Other banks or federally regulated credit unions are available online. 

En Español: This video provides detailed steps on how to open a bank account in Canada, the different types of accounts that are available, the benefits, the fees, and the security measures.

Financial Resources

Below are  tools and resources for understanding and managing your finances:

Financial literacy for adults: Further your understanding about budgeting, banking choices, credit reporting, loans and mortgages, financial goal setting, retirement planning, money transfers, insurance.

Budget Spreadsheet: A free downloadable budget planner compatible with most computer and smart phone software.

Financial Tools & Calculators: Tools to help you choose, budget and make plans around financial goals, bank account comparison, credit card options & repayment plans, mortgage rates and eligibility, retirement income planning and vehicle lease versus buying.

Canadian financial literacy database: A guided search database to find financial resources and information. 


Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (Year-Round)

Contact: Community Outreach Services (COS): 780-852-2100

The Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) recruits and trains volunteers to prepare income tax and benefit returns for people with a simple tax situation.

Get free, confidential help with filing and understanding your Canadian tax return and supporting documents.

Resources from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) about taxes and benefits: 

 More tax and benefit resources