Main content of the website

Garbage and Recycling

Wildlife-proof Bins

All waste bins in Jasper are wildlife-proof. Dispose of household garbage in the large bins that are located in all residential and commercial areas in Jasper.

Municipal Recycling Depots

There are two recycling depots managed by the Municipality of Jasper. The following links will open google maps with the exact location of each depot:


Glass and Tin

Glass jars and tin cans are accepted. Remove plastic lids and rinse out leftover food. 

Mixed Paper

All paper can be put in the mixed paper recycling bins. Remove tape or any plastic. Glossy paper like magazines can be recycled, but a large volume at once is challenging 


Remove plastics or leftover food. Put compostable food containers in the cardboard recycling (they cannot be composted in Jasper). Please flatten boxes. No waved cardboard, it cannot be recycled. 

Grass and Yard Waste

Yard waste can brought to either recycling depot. It will be introduced to our compost once collected.


We accept all hard plastics. Please empty containers and remove plastic film, metals (like a handle on a pail) or styrofoam.

Drinking Containers

Anything you drink out of can be returned to the bottle depot for a refund. You can also leave drinking containers at the recycling bins by the Activity Centre. 

Small Batteries

Small batteries can also be recycled at the recycling depots. 

Bicycle Tires

Bicycle tires can be recycled at the Stan Wright Industrial Park.

Where can I recycle? 

  • Parking lot by the Jasper Activity Centre

  • Stan Wright Industrial Park across the train tracks from town.

Electronic Recycling Pilot Program 

The Jasper Transfer Station accepts many home electronics for recycling. We are part of a pilot program through the Alberta Recycling Management Authority.

Please check the list to see what you can bring to the transfer station to be recycled.

What goes where:

Cardboard, paper, newsprint, beverage containers, tin, glass, plastic, household batteries, organics, plastics, propane canisters (no aerosols). Recycling Stations (Activity Centre parking lot and Stan Wright Industrial Park)
 Yard waste and bicycle tires Stan Wright Industrial Park location only  
Household wasteWaste and kitchen compost bins throughout town
Beverage ContainersBeverage container bins located throughout town
E-waste (computers, cell phones, televisions), Household Hazardous Waste, tires, appliances, metal, wood and other large items (furniture, etc.)Jasper Transfer Station

Jasper Transfer Station  

Hours of Operation






 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.



Facility operated by Parks Canada - 780-852-3531

Beverage Containers

There are beverage container recycling bins in various locations throughout town, including the S-Block and Activity Centre recycling depots. 

Jasper Recycle Depot

You can return all beverage containers to the local Jasper Recycle Depot for a refund deposit. Every beverage container has a refund of either 10 or 25 cents.

Location: Stan Wright Dr, Jasper, AB T0E 1E0

Contact: 780-852-5556


Tuesday – Friday, 10:00 AM – 3:30 AM

Saturday 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM 

Closed: Sunday and Monday 

Garbage & Recycling Posters 

Cardboard Drop-Off

You can drop off commercial cardboard Monday to Friday between 1:00 pm and 3:00pm.

  • You can drop loads of cardboard directly to the Operations building located at 3 Compound Road in Jasper (east bay door)
  • Please do not dump cardboard outside of business hours
  • Please break down cardboard boxes during the public hours of operation

Frequently asked questions:

Q: What do I do with glossy paper?

A: You can put glossy paper in the mixed paper recycling bin. Large amounts are difficult for us to process, so call us ahead of time so we can prepare. Contact the operations department at: 780-852-3040

Q: What should I do with pizza boxes or other food boxes? 

A: Pizza boxes that are clean and with minimal grease or food scraps can be placed in the cardboard recycling. If there is a lot of grease or food, it needs to go into the garbage.

Q: Where does a cardboard milk container go?

You can bring it to the bottle depot to collect a deposit. Or, you can put it in the mixed beverage container bin at the recycling depot.

Q: Where does a thin cardboard item (like a cereal box) go?

It goes in the cardboard recycling bin, even if it has a glossy coating.

Q: Where does a tetra pack container (like an Almond milk container) go?

If it contained a beverage, you can bring it to the bottle depot to collect a deposit. Or, it goes in the mixed beverage container bin at the recycling depot. If the container held something other than a beverage (for example a tetra pack of vegetable broth), it cannot be recycled and goes in the garbage.

Is something unclear?

Fill out this form to ask a question or make a suggestion on how this page could be informative and helpful for you.